Dry skin: Causes, Treatments, Prevention, And More
Our environment, habits, diet, weather, and surroundings significantly affect our health, especially our skin health. If you are not motivated about your skin health or if you are not seeking a proper lifestyle that is essential to maintain your skin health, you might have to face certain skin issues and problems.
These days, most people are suffering from a common skin problem that's known as Dry skin. Dryness in its natural limit is not a big problem, most people have naturally dry skin, but if Dryness crosses its limits, then it becomes a major issue for your skin health.
There are many causes that are associated with this skin concern. To get rid of dry skin, you have to terminate and abolish those reasons that have a part in your skin's Dryness and flakiness.
Here, we are going to summarize all the essential knowledge and information about dry, flaky, and irritated skin that you should need to know to maintain your proper skincare routine.
We will discuss the causes of this problem as well as its preventions and treatments that can help you to get rid of dry skin and give you a natural, nourishing, and pure complexion. So, let's explore all the mandatory information in this regard.
What is Dry Skin?
When the skin does not have enough moisture or naturally occurring oils to keep it soft and supple, dry skin, also known as xerosis, develops. While some folks may naturally have dry skin, others may get it from specific illnesses.
But it usually doesn't last long and isn't very bad. The elbow, arm, and legs are the most typical areas of the body where dry skin can develop, but it can also happen elsewhere in the body.
Additionally, it may occur at various ages. Scaling, itching, and cracking are unwelcome symptoms of dry skin. It may happen for a number of reasons.
Your hands may get dry if you often wash them and use hand sanitizer. Applying Moisturizer after each time you wash your hands can be beneficial in relieving Dryness.
Types of Dry Skin
- Contact dermatitis.
- Seborrheic dermatitis.
- Dermatitis atopy.
1. Contact Dermatitis
When your skin reacts to anything it touches, localized inflammation, known as contact dermatitis, results.
When your skin is expressed or exposed directly to an irritant chemical substance, such as bleach, irritant contact dermatitis can develop.
When your skin comes into contact with a chemical to which you are allergic, like nickel, allergic contact dermatitis can occur.
2. Seborrheic Dermatitis
The overproduction of oil by your skin leads to seborrheic dermatitis. It causes a red, scaly rash that typically appears on your scalp. Babies frequently develop this kind of dermatitis.
3. Dermatitis Atopy
Like eczema, atopic dermatitis is a skin condition. Your skin will develop dry, scaly patches due to this chronic skin problem.
It is typical in young children. Your skin may also become dry due to other illnesses like type 2 diabetes and psoriasis.
Causes of Dry Skin
- Contact dermatitis Causes Dryness
- Vitamin Deficiency
- low humidity
- Cold or windy climates
- Taking too many baths
- Detergents and soaps
- Specific therapies or drugs
1) Contact Dermatitis Causes Dryness
- In the case of contact dermatitis, the skin becomes dry, red, or irritated after coming into close contact with something that causes localized irritation or an allergic reaction.
- Irritating dermatitis and allergic dermatitis are the two kinds of contact dermatitis.
- Contact with irritants like harsh shampoos and hair colors can lead to irritant dermatitis, which is more common.
- An allergic reaction to common allergens like nickel in jewelry and scents in perfumes can result in allergic dermatitis.
- Skin patches that are dry, red, itchy, and scaly are signs of the skin disorder psoriasis.
- The patches can appear or make their place anywhere on the body, although most typically appear on the knees, elbows, scalp, face, back, palms, and feet.
- When the immune system promotes the quick growth of skin cells, psoriasis develops.
- Adults are typically affected, and the symptoms may come and go.
- Psoriasis flare-ups are frequently brought on by stress, infections, and skin injuries.
3) Vitamin Deficiency
- Retinol, another name for vitamin A, is important for maintaining good skin, pregnancy, and breastfeeding, as well as eyesight in dim light.
- Both dry skin and hair can result from a vitamin A deficiency.
- Dry and itchy skin can be a symptom of diabetes, a condition where the body has trouble controlling blood sugar levels.
- When a person has diabetes, the body attempts to get rid of extra sugar by making more urine, which causes dehydration and can make the skin feel dry.
5) Low Humidity
Low humidity indicates dry air, which depletes the moisture from the top layer of the skin. Itchiness and skin peeling can result from this Dryness of the skin.
6) Cold Or Windy Climates
In cold climates, the dry air throughout the winter drains moisture from the skin, resulting in dry skin.
7) Taking Too Many Baths
- Even though taking a bath entails putting water on the skin, this doesn't have a lasting impact because the water evaporates fast, leaving the skin dry.
- Additionally, bathing, especially in hot water for a long time, frequently strips your skin of the natural oils intended to keep it hydrated.
8) Detergents and Soaps
- Detergents and soaps are made to wash away oil and dirt from the skin.
- The skin will quickly lose its natural oils from excessive soap use, leaving it dry.
- As we age, the skin naturally changes in some ways, such as getting thinner and losing perspiration and oil glands. The outcome is dry, itchy skin since the body is unable to create enough natural oil.
- Additionally, medical disorders like diabetes and kidney disease, which are prevalent in the elderly population, can result in dry, itchy skin.
10) Specific therapies or drugs
- Dry skin can be a side effect of medications for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and allergies.
- Salicylic acid, a common acne therapy, can also result in dry skin.
- Last but not least, retinol, a skincare ingredient that increases skin cell turnover, can result in dry, flaky skin.
Dry skin is known as a one of the complex skin problems that most of the people suffer from in today’s worldUsing of these healthy skincare products may help you to get rid of this severe skin problem.
So, a reasonable care of your skin in every good and bad condition of life your be your first priority. In this way, you will be able to get a nourish, healthy, supple and soft skin without any roughness, itchiness and roughness.
Using of healthy skincare products may help you to get rid of this severe skin problem.
Symptoms of Dry Skin
What are the possible symptoms of dry skin when your skin falls in Dryness? It is a question most people ask, so let's discuss and introduce the symptoms you will see on your skin when you have Dryness.
If you diagnose these symptoms in their earlier possible stages, then it'll be easy to cure them. So, you should need to know about these symptoms that we are discussing below.
- Pruritus, which is also known as itching, is a common symptom of dry skin. If you have started feeling itchiness on your skin, that can be a sign of Dryness.
- If dry or red patches appear on your skin, they can also be the predictors of Dryness. Always try to investigate your skin and its health on a usual basis, whether it has any dry or red patches or not.
- If you are experiencing a roughness on your skin, then you may also think that it's because of Dryness. Rough skin is also a symptom of Dryness.
- Flaky or peeling skin is one of the most common symptoms of dry skin.
- If there are cracks in your skin, it might be the result of Dryness. Check your skin if there are any cracks; then, they are the symptoms of dry skin.
- The Tight feeling can also be a symptom of dry skin. Unusual tightness on your skin may be due to a deficiency of hydration which causes Dryness.
- These symptoms can vary from skin to skin. Every individual has their own skin and its nature. So, these symptoms can be slightly different from person to person.
Diagnosis of Dry Skin
How can you diagnose that you have really dry skin? After diagnosis, you can treat the Dryness on your face and skin.
For this purpose, the doctor looks and checks the appearance of the skin to get whether you have dry skin or not.
It's better for you that if you have seen some or any symptoms of Dryness on your skin, you should make a visit to a skin specialist doctor. He will help you in this regard.
The doctor will inspect your skin. He will also check the previous medical history of the skin to see whether you have done any surgery or treatment to your skin or not.
He can also take a look at your family history because if your ancestors have dry skin, then there are also chances that you'll also suffer from Dryness on the skin.
These tests or diagnoses will only be made if there are any severe symptoms. In case of normal or minimal Dryness, the doctor may prescribe some medicine and lotion or any skin-healing product for it.
When To See a Medical Provider in case of Dry Skin?
Sometimes you think that, Why is my skin so dry even when I moisturize? If you are intrigued with dry skin even after when you have moisturized your skin or if you are experiencing severe itching on your skin. Then it's time that you should visit the doctor.
When Dryness becomes severe, it disturbs your daily routines and activities. A good healthcare provider may help you in this regard in a better way.
The severe symptoms of Dryness, like scratching, can cause cracks in your skin. This scratching can cause serious and severe complications like a bacterial infection.
In some other situations, like if your skin has swollen, or become red and warm, then it's high time to visit a skincare specialist.
You should be concerned about your skin if you face or experience any unusual symptoms on your skin. By inspecting your skin and doing some reports, a healthcare provider may help you to get rid of this dry skin.
Risk Factors for Dry Skin
There are also some risk factors that might help in developing dry skin. You should keep a keen eye on your life, daily habits, environment, and other factors that can be the reason for dry skin. We are going to discuss some risk factors for dry and flaky skin, which are:
- Aging is one of the risk factors for dry skin. If you are getting older, you may have a chance of skin dryness.
- If you are living in a cold climate region, so there is a great risk that this environment will cause the Dryness of skin.
- In some jobs like healthcare or working in a factory, you usually have to wash your hands and face many times a day. This frequent face and handwashing can cause dry skin.
- If your parents have suffered from skin dryness in their lives, you may also have a risk of having this type of skin.
- If you have atopic dermatitis or any other skin condition history, there is a risk that you may have dry skin.
- Some medical conditions and diseases also cause Dryness. So if you have kidney or thyroid diseases, there is a chance that Dryness will appear on your skin.
- Malnutrition is also a risk factor that can cause dry skin.
It may seem evident that a lack of moisture is one of the causes of dry skin. But what causes this? Why is my skin dry and wrinkled? Due to a damaged skin barrier and a lack of or dysfunction of the vital healthy fats in your skin, you have dry skin.
Treatments for Dry Skin
After discussing all the relevant information and details about dry skin, we now should need to go through the solutions that can be helpful in this complicated situation.
It is a fact that Dryness is a manageable skin condition and can be treated. You can get rid of dry skin by adopting certain skincare routines and avoiding some harmful things. So, let's discuss the treatments for dry and flaky skin.
- Apply Moisturizer.
- Use An Ointment.
- Wear Lip Balm.
- Use Gentle And Fragrance-Free Skincare Products.
- Stop Alcoholic Products.
- Use Gloves.
- Adapt The Temperature Of Your Shower.
- Make use of a humidifier.
- Stay Away From Allergens And Irritants.
1. Apply Moisturizer
To get back the hydration of your skin, you need to use a reliable moisturizer that will keep your skin hydrated and moist.
When you wash your hands or face Or after taking a bath or shower, you need to apply a good moisturizer to your skin.
2. Use An Ointment
The ointment or cream has an effective role in developing hydration on your skin. You should add a good ointment to your daily skincare routine to keep your skin moist and dry-free.
3. Wear Lip Balm
Sometimes, when your skin becomes dry, your lips also become dry. In this way, you should also take care of your lips. To keep your lips hydrated and moisturized, you should use lip balm.
Use the lip balm that feels effective on your lips. If you feel any irritation on your lips after using it, you should change the lip balm.
4. Use Gentle And Fragrance-Free Skincare Products.
You should always use gentle, fragrance and chemical-free products. Some chemical-based soaps and skin-related products are harmful to dry and sensitive skin.
When you buy a product, you need to check whether this product is labeled as "fragrance-free." The skincare specialists recommend those products that are chemical-free.
5. Stop Alcoholic Products
If you are thinking about how to remove internal Dryness from the body or how to treat dry patches on the skin, you should avoid products that contain alcohol and other harmful substances.
The dermatologists recommend that if the skin products contain the products like alcohol, alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA), fragrance, and Retinoids, then it's best for you to avoid those products.
6. Use Gloves
Gloves are necessary when you have regular contact with outdoor activities. Hands are the parts of our body that have direct and regular contact with environmental irritants.
These irritants may also include dish soap and detergents. You should wear gloves if you work in outdoor areas, especially in cold areas. If your hands have regular contact with water, then gloves are necessary for your hands' health to keep them away from Dryness.
7. Adapt The Temperature Of Your Shower
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, modifying your shower routine can occasionally help relieve dry skin. Although most individuals like to take hot showers, doing so can hurt the skin.
Additionally, some soaps that promote skin healing and moisturization can actually have the opposite effect. Severe chemicals can cause allergic responses and weaken the skin.
Take brief showers with warm, not hot, water. Additionally, search for soaps that are kinder to the skin than conventional soaps and free of aroma.
8. Make Use of a Humidifier
A hummer in your home can help reduce the Dryness caused by home heating systems. According to the Harvard Medical School, while gas and electric heat remove moisture from the air, a humidifier set to 60% can compensate.
9. Stay Away From Allergens And Irritants
The sudden onset of dry skin could be related to what you're wearing or what you've exposed your skin to.
Sitting by the fireplace, swimming in chlorinated or chemically treated water, or even wearing wool clothing can all irritate and dry out your skin. Examine what you're putting your skin through and try to be gentle with it.
Products You Can Use For Dry Skin
After discussing the causes of dry skin on the face, symptoms of dry skin, and treatments that may be helpful for curing dry skin, it's time to discuss the best skincare products for dry and flaky skin.
There are also some home remedies for dry skin on the face that you can adopt in your routine. Here, we will try to recommend you some of the best skincare products that will be helpful in relieving dry skin. So, let's discuss.
1. Vince Retinol Night Serum
- If you have dry skin as a result of aging, the Vince Retinol serum is one of the best treatments for you. This serum aids in the reduction of aging signs as well as the reduction of wrinkles, dark spots, roughness, and cracks in your skin.
- It strengthens your skin's tissues and layers to fight aging signs by improving the texture of your skin. This serum stimulates the production of collagen, giving your skin a nourished appearance.
- To achieve good and healthy skin results, you must incorporate this serum into your skincare routine. This serum hydrates and moisturizes your skin.
- Its ingredients are also beneficial to your skin's health. These are the ingredients: BHT, Simmondsia Seed Oil, Retinol, and Chinensis (Jojoba).
2. Vince Hydra Face Wash
- Vince Hydra Face Wash is one of the best products for dry skin relief and treatment.
- When your skin becomes dry, you'll need a hydrating agent to replenish the moisture. The Vince hydra face fash is one of the best options for solving this problem in an ideal way.
- The Sodium PCA in this face wash is a hydrating agent that provides moisture and nourishment to your skin, allowing it to stay hydrated.
- Vince Hydra Face Wash also moisturizes and protects your skin by preventing moisture evaporation, which causes dry skin. Your skin can become dull and tight as a result of Dryness.
- This product has ingredients that rejuvenate your skin layers and make your skin healthy, nourished, and bright.
3. Vince Hydrating Body Milk
- The main causes and consequences of dry and flaky skin are a lack of moisture and dehydration. As a result, Vince Hydrating Body Milk is one of the most highly recommended products for treating this skin issue.
- It soothes, supples, nourishes, illuminates, and softens your skin. The environment and the fluctuations in which you are living also have an impact on your skin; Vince's hydrating body milk helps you deal with these environmental factors.
- This product keeps your skin moisturized and hydrated for a long time. Dryness reduces the nourishment and softness of your skin, and this product restores and rejuvenates your natural complexion and skin smoothness.
4. Vince Moisturizing Face and Body Lotion
- You may be looking for the best body lotion for dry skin as well. For how much time would you have to search for the best product for your skin? Your search may come to an end. Vince moisturizing face and body lotion are widely regarded as the best body lotion for dry, itchy skin.
- It's a silky formula that will bring new life to your skin by providing it with a natural complexion and moisture. This lotion is the best natural body lotion for dry skin in Pakistan.
- This lotion imparts natural radiance and glows to your skin while also providing luminous fairness. So, if you have dry skin, you should try this lotion as a last resort to keep it from getting worse.
- The ingredients in this product, like Coconut Oil &, Glycerol Monostearate, Hexadecanol Hexadecane, Shea Butter, and Water, are helpful in giving your skin its natural and beautiful look.
5. Nutritive Body Milk
- You can also apply Vince moisturizer for flaky, irritated, and dry skin. It will aid in the relief of dry skin. We recommend the dermatologist-recommended and tested moisturizer Nutritive Body Milk for this purpose.
- If you have dry and rough skin, this is a product you will find useful and dependable. Pro-Vitamin B-5 has been added to nutritive body milk, which may help to improve the fairness and suppleness of the skin.
- It also keeps your skin's moisture level balanced.
Dry skin is not a problem that can be abandoned or ignored. It has serious impacts on our skin. Getting rid of dry skin is an inevitable need of the skin if you indulge in this situation.
To cure this skin issue, you should make certain healthy changes in your life as well as adopt good routines, get sufficient skin knowledge and use reliable and trustworthy skincare products.
In this article, we have endeavored tried to explain everything you need to know about dry skin and its treatments.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) What is the best treatment for extremely dry skin?
Ans: There are certain things you need to do as a proper treatment for your dry skin. These things are, Moisturizer, use warm water, always use an allergen-free moisturizing soap, use a humidifier.
Choose fabrics that are kind to your skin and try to Relieve the itchiness of the skin.
What is the main cause of dry skin?
Ans: Dry skin, also called xerosis or xeroderma, has many causes, including harsh, cold, or dry weather, sun radiations, harsh soaps, overbathing, aging, and genetics.
What is the prevention of dry skin?
Ans: You can prevent dry skin by using warm water, excluding harsh soaps and chemical-based products, and preventing extremely dry and cold weather.
What is the problem with dry skin?
Ans: The main problem with dry skin is that it produces flakiness and itchiness on your skin and reduces hydration. In this way, your skin becomes dull, itchy, and ugly due to Dryness.
What are the products for dry skin?
Ans: For dry skin, you should use Vince Hydra Face Wash, Vince Retinol Night Serum, and Vince hydrating body milk.
These products will give a glowing and nourishing complexion to your skin and will relieve Dryness.